Monday, March 25, 2019

Yankee Candle Review: Warm Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Yankee Candle Warm Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My Review for:   Yankee Candle- Warm Pineapple Upside Down Cake

                 
Yankee Candle Description: "A special treat--warm pineapple sweetened with brown sugar and soft vanilla. "

                                        
Fragrance Notes:
                                   Top:  Sweet Brown Sugar
                                              Mid:  Golden Pineapple, Crystallized Sugar
                                   Base: Creamy Vanilla Glaze


A Rather One-Note Candle:

This is the first returning favorite I've purchased from Yankee Candle. I'm not the biggest pineapple fan, but I DO like cake and bakery scents. Pineapple is fine...as long as it's not too sweet. In hind sight, I should have looked at the fragrance notes more closely. There is not a "cake" or "pie" or bakery note to be found. Just pineapple, sugar, and more sugar.

On cold sniff, a lovely natural pineapple smell floats up to you as soon as you take the lid off the jar. Freshly cut pineapple. Although I like this particular pineapple note, it is so dominant, I can't smell anything else. It's not the type of scent that lingers. After you've smelled the candle for about a minute you can't smell it strongly anymore. Your nose gets used to it. It randomly wafts by you, then disappears. This is all on cold sniff so let's see what happens when we Light It Up.

Because this candle seemed to be a little weak in fragrance, I assumed it would be weak in throw as well. When I come across a weaker candle, I tend to burn it in my bedroom. My bedroom is around the same size as my living room, but it has a door I can close, to trap in the scent. That's where I decided to burn Warm Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

The candle has been burning with my bedroom 3/4 way shut. The scent is stronger, but still weaker than I would like. I have to walk all the way into the room to smell it. I was unaware this candle lacked bakery notes, so I kept smelling for them. I'm mystified as to why they call this candle "Pineapple Upside Down Cake", when there is LITERALLY no cake notes. A better name for it would be, "A Pocketful of Pineapple", or something similar. The pineapple & sugar in this are sweeter when it's lit. It's Pineapple and sugar + sugar + more sugar. I search for more, but all that happens is, I smell burning candle wax about as much as I smell pineapple. The pineapple seems a little less fresh too. No longer freshly cut.

This candle badly needed a bakery note to add dimension to it. To create layers within the fragrance, almost ANYTHING would have been fine. This is weak and very one note. This candle is essentially 3 notes: Pineapple, Sugar, Vanilla. Sugar just adds sweetness and I can barely detect vanilla. I think it gets lost in the sweetness. Too bad... that might have saved it from becoming just a mixing candle. It seems to be the type of candle that plays well with others. I'm keeping it for this reason only.


Note: For it's first mixing test, I burned it with Orange Dreamsicle. I was hoping the pineapple would bring out the orange, and all the different sugars would bring out the vanilla.

It's not a bad mix. The Boyfriend said he liked it. IMO, the generic, muted orange has actually drowned out the pineapple from my candle. The sugars didn't help bring out any of the vanilla in Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I WILL say that, up close, I can smell the pineapple, and it's a beautiful blend. Unfortunately, you can only smell this mixture, hovering over the two candles, with you nose right above the flame. This might work really well if you have 2 Upside Down Pineapple Cake candles available to burn with the 1 Dreamsicle. I don't, so this mix doesn't work, but I am encouraged by it's potential, mixing it with future scents.


-Fragrance:  6/10
-Throw: 5
-Overall:   C

Until Next Time, my Candle Subjects!

💗The Candle Queen



No comments:

Post a Comment