Sunday, March 24, 2019

Yankee Candle Review: Orange Dreamsicle


                                           

Yankee Candle Orange Dreamsicle

My Review for:   Yankee Candle- Orange Dreamsicle

                                                                22 oz. Jar Candle 

Yankee Candle Description: "A favorite childhood summer treat you never outgrow . . . a cool blend of orange and vanilla ice cream. "

                                        
                                                                                                               Fragrance Notes:
                                                     Top:  Lemon Peels, Juicy Orange,Sparkling Grapefruit
                                               Mid:  Tangelo, White Peach, Sweet Mandarin, Buttercream
Base: Vanilla Bean, Tonka


I Am SO Disappointed...

When I opened the lid of the jar, I was expecting a little slice of heaven. Orange Dreamsicle, what could go wrong? Juicy Orange + Vanilla Ice Cream = delicious smelling... right? Not so much.
Something is off/artificial on cold sniff. Maybe it's the Buttercream/Vanilla/Tonka combo affecting the orange notes, because the "juicy orange" is barely there. This smells more like the Popsicle stick after you finished eating all the ice cream. The vanilla is weird. It's not a food-y, bakery vanilla, which I think was a HUGE mistake, along with adding the buttercream. One or the other Yankee. Not both. The Vanilla is too sweet. Cloyingly candy-like, and it drowns out most of the orange/citrus notes. I smell neither lemon peels, grapefruit or peach, and the orange is not fresh, sweet and juicy.
I'm so sad because this was a candle I was really looking forward to. Thankfully, Yankee has an excellent return policy. This is what keeps me coming back, despite the occasional disappointment.

Let me clarify, this is NOT a bad smelling candle, by any means. It's rather mild, though it can be smelled a few feet away, with the top off the jar. Scents can transform when lit- So we'll see what happens.

yankee candle where's the beef lady After about an hour, I can only smell it from only a few feet away. Not a big deal. Some candles start to pool and you can smell them right away. Not this one. She's a slow burner.
After 2 hours, the scent IS traveling.... but I don't like it. This isn't Breyers' Dreamsicle. It's the inferior, generic store brand. At least the throw is increasing. I can now smell it lingering in my hallway, but it still doesn't smell the way I think it should. I feel like the Where's The Beef Lady... Where's The Orange?

The main body of the scent can sometimes take a while to come through. It gets stronger the longer you burn the candle. I'm HOPING this is where the orange will make it's appearance. I'm supposed to be smelling Mandarin, according to the fragrance notes... so I'll give this a few more hours.

.........

Okay, it's been about 4 hours, and the throw continues to increase, but the fragrance itself, remains the same. I can now just barely detect it from the top of my stairs... but it is faint. It's a different story in my living room.
My entire living room is now scented like this candle. I'm pleased with the throw, but not with the fragrance. I just don't smell the ORANGE in the Dreamsicle. Maybe it's just my nose. Everyone smells things differently. I ask for a second opinion from the boyfriend. This is the conversation that ensued:

Me: What do you think about this candle?
orange dreamsicleHim: It smells pleasant.
Me: What do you think it smells like?
Him .....
Me: Orange?
Him ....
Me: It's supposed to be Orange Dreamsicle.
Him: Oh yeah, that's EXACTLY what I smell!
Me ..... (rolls eyes).

To sum it up, I'm not a fan. I expected more orange and a food-y, creamy vanilla. That's not what I got. I'm going to exchange this for a different scent. If you like the smell of Generic Store Brand Orange Dreamsicles, you can't even tell are ORANGE flavored, you might like this. It's fine. It's inoffensive. It's "pleasant."


Note:  Sometimes you can dislike a candle but it enhances other candle fragrances when you blend them together. Those are what I call "mixing" candles. Since I haven't exchanged this candle YET, I thought maybe I'd try it with my Warm Pineapple Upside Down Cake candle. That particular candle is a little one-noted and weak, while Orange Dreamsicle can fill a room. Maybe the two together can jazz things up and bring out the best in each other. I'm hoping the Pineapple will bring out the orange, and the the Vanilla will help reveal some bakery notes, in the pineapple.

It's not a bad mix. The Boyfriend said he liked it. IMO, the generic, muted orange has actually drowned out the pineapple from my other candle. The vanilla didn't help bring out any bakery notes in Pineapple Upside Down Cake either. I WILL say that, up close, I can smell the pineapple, and it's a beautiful blend. Unfortunately, you can only smell this mixture, hovering over the two candles, with you nose right above the flame. This might work really well if you have 2 Upside Down Pineapple Cake candles available to burn with the 1 Dreamsicle. I don't, so this mix doesn't work and I'm still exchanging the Orange Dreamsicle for something better.



-Fragrance: 4/10 (where's the ORANGE?)
-Throw: 6/10
-Overall: C-

Until Next Time, my Candle Subjects!

💗The Candle Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment